Grilling the perfect sirloin steak starts well before the grilling. Back at the store, choose a piece of sirloin for its look.
The best steak, dry aged steak is a deep red color. If it is ruby red it is probably wet aged and won’t have as much flavor.
Look out for a marbling of fat throughout the meat. The marbling will give you a great taste when the steak is cooked.
Finally a good steak needs to be between an inch and an inch and a half thick. Thinner than an inch, the steak will dry our as it cooks and thicker than an inch and a half, the inside won’t cook properly.
So armed with the best possible teak, there are only a few simple steps and techniques to learn for the best way to grill sirloin steak! 😉
Preparation Of Sirloin Steak Before Grilling is Key
For the best results grilling sirloin steak on a gas grill, preparation is king. Steaks don’t take long to cook so you need to make sure all your preparation is done before you start to grill your steak. Fry your fries, wash your salad, and prepare the dressing before you start to cook the steak.
Remove the steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you want to cook, it needs to come up to room temperature so it cooks in the middle without burning the outside.
Turn on the gas on your `grill and let it come up to full temperature, it needs to reach a temperature of between 500 and 600 degrees.
Complete preparation by trimming of excess fat and then seasoning. A little oil and a generous touch of freshly ground pepper are all that is needed at this stage although some great marinade recipes can be found to add even more flavor.
How to Grill a Sirloin Steak Medium Rare
Once the grill is heated follow these 6 simple steps to grill a perfect sirloin steak, medium rare;
- Lay the steak on the grill, placing it away from you to avoid any spits and burns.
- Close the lid on the grill, this is important as it keeps the temperature high. Your grill needs to be as hot as possible to ensure it seals in all the juices and flavors. A warm grill will steam the steak, making it dry and tough.
- After five minutes, open the grill and turn the steak over, it should have a wonderful charred surface.
- Close the lid and cook the steak for a further three minutes for medium rare. Test to see if the stake is cooked enough by pressing the meat in the middle of the steak. If it is feels the same as the ball at the base of your thumb it is cooked medium rare.
- Take the steak out and leave it to one side on a warm plate for between 5 and ten minutes to rest. Season the steak with salt at this point. This will give you a juicy steak because the meat relaxes and allows the juices back in.
- While your steak is breathing crisp off your firs in the fryer and dress your salad.
How to Marinate a Sirloin Steak for Grilling
This recipe will also do great for barbecuing sirloin steak. For many people, a marinade is a perfect way to ensure that a steak is tender and also packed with flavour before cooking it on a gas grill. Bottle marinades can be very good at adding flavor to a sirloin but avoid using those with high sugar content such as barbecue flavor, as the sugar can burn on your steak and make it taste bitter.
It is also super easy to make your own marinades. To be effective as a marinade there should be at least one ingredient that helps break down muscle tissue to make it tender. Wine, wine vinegar and citrus juices are perfect for this. Flavor can be added in a number of ways, strong herbs such as thyme or rosemary are perfect, and chopping them up finely helps to release their oils into the marinade for maximum taste. Try this simple marinade out for a tasty alternative to plain grilled sirloin:
- Take four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Crush a clove of garlic and chop into fine pieces
- Add two table spoons of lemon juice and the zest from half a lemon
- Add two table spoons of finely chopped fresh thyme
Mix all the ingredients together in a large plastic bag, place the steaks in the bag with the marinade and leave for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to two hours for the flavor to infuse and the meat to tenderize before cooking on your gas grill.
Learned the method? Then try these healthy sirloin steak recipes!